Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Entering New York today, I was accompanied by endless rows of grape orchards on both sides of the road. Lake Erie must provide a good climate for this as I see wineries throughout the area. The 'circle tour' bikelane continues and it is a great view and ride. I passed by the Erie County Court House on my way east and stopped just outside the nearby town of Westfield for breakfast. Here I met a proud resident. He informed me that in town there was a statue depicting Lincoln and a liitle girl. The statue is of Grace Bedell and Lincoln meeting. She was only 11 years old when she sent a letter a few weeks before Lincoln was elected suggesting he would look better if he grew a beard. Responding with a 'we shalll see' attitude,- within the month he had a full beard. Later, he met Grace and had his iconic look,- just in time for the innauguration in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment